Thursday, October 29, 2009

Damn you Walgreeens!

I got the flu shot. My mother, as mothers can, surprised me a few weeks ago when I went home for a day. "Want to go to lunch?" said my mom with a smile.  Sure I am always up for food. Just one thing...a short stop at Walgreens. Two sugar free Werthers Original candies, a sticker and a joyous mother later, the flu shot was administered and the subterfuge of Chilis nachos was in front of me.

Flash forward two months. While moaning on Facebook and to anyone who would listen, that I did not want to go to work a curious thing happened. It started with repeated sneezing and watery eyes. Seemed like allergies, but I was out of tree mold heaven that was Northern Virginia...I haven't had an allergy episodes since the move above the Mason-Dixon Line.

I get to work and while the sneezing stopped watery eyes continued. Two Functional Behavior Analysises later (is that the right plural?) I had aches but no fever. But lots of aches. Dizziness but again no fever.

As one of the women, that allows me to share their space, begins to lecture me on the N1H1 Flu that IS going around our district, and the other woman whom I actually DO like begins to spray me, my desk and the door handles with Lysol, it hits me. Do they seriously begrudge the fact that I am in their room and NOT the fabled office I was told I had in my interview? OH maybe I have the flu. The flu? Maybe just a cold...

As the day wore on I get the feeling that I might have the flu. Or I have a cold with no stuffy nose, no coughing and no fever. A cold that consists of dizziness, a surprising lack of appetite, and aches. Aches like I climbed Mt. Monadnock at dawn. Like I would do THAT. So yesterday  I handed in my FBAs, the joys of my job, and went to CVS to get Nyquil. I realize as I pulled into my driveway with said Nyquil in hand... The fever hits me like a wall.

Damn YOU Walgreens!

I wasn't supposed to get the flu! But perhaps, the wretched Walgreens did me a favor.  No chills or other nastiness that occurs but will not mention. Just headaches, yes, a fever, and tons of body aches...Maybe Walgreens was not the enemy I thought...

The rest is a blur. Bed. Covers. Open window cause I like it like a campground when I sleep. And the Bailey Monster. Bailey is a champ. First, she always knows when one of us is sick and is just the best puppy ever. Second, I slept from 11:30am until 6:30am the next day. She did not bark at me to go outside or to be fed (but I did both this morning).  I do not even remember MIke coming home. So now, as I wait for Nyquil to take me back to the place called blissful unawareness of medically induced sleep, she lays beside me. Licking my face and protecting me from the maintenance men who are blowing leaves out side my window.

Good girl. Take care of mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment