Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Other Blog....Cooking With Ms. Sara

Hi! Just wanted to post a link to my OTHER blog.

Granted it hasn't gotten much attention in the last few months. That will change in September.
You see its a Cooking/Teaching blog. It is about my life skills adventures in the classroom. I teach children with severe Autism. I love it. Absolutely love it. There are days when I don't want to get up, or days I wring my hands in frustration and do not get me started on the political BS that comes with the job. But the teaching? The actual teaching and interaction with "my kids"? Priceless. Its why I go to work each day.

We do cooking on Fridays. Its great, because some kids with Autism (and those without) are picky, PICKY eaters. By teaching them how to make a meal it teaches them Life Skills, and gets them invested in what they eat. I had one student who hated eggs. Screamed and cried and shook like I was feeding them brussels sprouts.  Once he was invested in making his breakfast? With some cheese on top? G-O-N-E. Signed "more" and everything.

So my other mission was to get others out there to do the same and post some resources (Boardmaker symbols) because the software is expensive and if I can make a free PDF, why the hell not. My assistants were like "You should do a cooking show..." and the blog was born. But it was born halfway through the year. So this fall you will be able to how I start (cheese sandwiches) and end up with Chicken Parm (seriously).

No comments:

Post a Comment