Saturday, July 27, 2013

...."Its so just so nice to be nominated"....

It really is true. It is NICE.

And a pleasant surprise. The other day, I was going through the mail and trying very hard to tear in half, what I thought was junk mail. So when the darn thing wouldn't rip, I decided to open it.

So glad I did.

The letter was from Photographer's Forum Magazine .  I was informed that out of 10,000 entries to their 33rd Annual Spring competition, I was one out of 1400 finalists. I was in the top 14%.

I was stunned. Shocked. Even more so when I saw it was the picture of my "Kissing Wolves" that got me in! It was taken several years ago, on a Rebel (The original digital rebel), a 5 megapixel camera, in the cold, the day after a blizzard. I didn't think the Lakota Wolf Preserve would even be open. But they were. And right after my fingers started to go numb, I had the honor of seeing these two Tundra Wolves kiss. It remains one of my favorite photos.

I gave one to my parents, to my principal and vice-principal at NB School when I left to move to VA, and it has been shown in a gallery in Wyoming, bought and sold there as well as in VA.

So all in all, do I expect to place? No, I do not. But it just goes to show you don't need the most expensive equipment out there to take pictures. To be a photographer you need a good eye, and patience. And hand-warmers in your pocket.

"Kissing Wolves" by Sara Mahler Ronayne

No comments:

Post a Comment